Good news, bad news

July 02, 2012


While I was on holiday (you know, ages ago...), the lovely Frau Welle included me in her nominations for a Liebster Award. I don't really know much about this award (and a quick internet search provides little help nor explanation), but I'm truly touched that anyone would think of my little, and of late, oft-neglected, blog when considering award recipients. Thank you so much!

What little I do know is that there are a few rules for accepting this award:
1. Choose five up-and-coming blogs (with fewer than 200 followers) to award the Liebster to.
2. Show your thanks to the blogger who gave you the award by linking back to them.
3. Post the award on your blog. List the bloggers you are giving the award to with links to their sites. Leave comments on their blogs so they know about the award.

So to fulfill my part of the bargain, my nominations go to:
Eating Wiesbaden (and Mainz!) - A new(-ish) endeavor by fellow expat and foodie Frau Dietz, also nominated by Frau Welle, who is as ravenous as I am for good eating options around our town
This German Texan - New(-ish) expat Jan chronicling her new job and new life in Germany
Expat Edna - I'm pretty sure this doesn't follow the rules, as she surely has WAY more followers than is allowed, but she's a great blogger, a great person (who I had the pleasure of meeting in Paris this spring) and is worth a read!
Resident on Earth - An amazing photographer and writer, I'm sure she has many more followers as well. If her photos don't make you want to travel the world, nothing will.
Parking Spot for Mom - My oldest and dearest friend providing her feelings and reflections on motherhood in her own totally unfiltered way (which I tend to avoid reading too often, as it makes me miss her terribly)

As pleased as I am with my little bit of recognition, I admit I'm still stuck in a bit of a funk since my mom's departure. I've suddenly experienced the first bit of homesickness ever since leaving two and half years ago. It feels unexpected to want to go back so desperately when it's been at the bottom of my travel priorities for years. Perhaps I'm missing more of that big city life than I thought - a plethora of amazing restaurant options, fashion choices beyond H&M and Zara, and of course, the ocean... Oh, what I wouldn't give to live closer to the sea.

In addition to all the superficial reasons to want to be back in California right now, some bad news from my mother's doctor has me positively pining to be there to hold her hand through everything to come. While she's going to be more than OK in the end, it was one of those kick-in-the-butt moments when you hear the name of a scary-as-shit disease and all the moments you haven't been there with your family flash before your eyes. Most of my family, in all honesty, has just been a disappointment in my life, so I've never felt such a pull of its importance before this. My mom is pretty much all I have in that respect and I'm feeling more than a little guilty at the decision to make a life halfway around the world from her right about now. I'm also ironically reminded of how my mom got her very first passport: to rescue me from a British hospital after emergency surgery, literally two days after being transferred there for my job. All I can do is remind her every day how much I love her and offer my tips on making up great stories about her soon-to-be new scar when people ask (since I'm a bit of an expert in this myself, I'm suggesting 'knife fight' to give her the most street cred). But my passport is ready and waiting if I ever do need to rescue her.

In better news, two of our dear friends here are about to become parents (if it hasn't happened already - we're all anxiously awaiting news from the hospital) and I am so thrilled for them. It's hard to believe how far we've come since my first message from her on my blog, saying they were moving to Germany and asking for some tips. Since then we've not only become friends, but we've spent numerous holidays together, they have moved into our neighborhood and now they are adding a new member to their family dynamic and our circle of friends. So as much as I miss my mom and ache to be there to support her through things, I know we are so lucky to be able to be here for our friends, who are also half a world away from their families, at times like these.

Speaking of which, I think it's about time to give their little doggy another walk... I can't imagine how anxious he is for his family to get home with their new addition!  

 

*Daily Drop Cap by Jessica Hische (speaking of which, have you seen her amazing wedding invitation..?!)