Martha Stewart's buttermilk waffles

April 24, 2013


I was on the lookout for a Belgian waffle maker for a good year into our life in Germany, as they are mostly those flat, shallow waffle makers and the ones for deep, thick waffles are rather hard to find. Once I did acquire the right kind of appliance, I was naturally on the hunt for the best waffle recipe I could find. Not surprisingly, I have found Martha Stewart's to be, far and away, the very best. Waffles make me nostalgic for childhood and have become a staple of our weekend breakfasts. The bit of cinnamon and brown sugar in these makes them a stand-out amongst basic waffle recipes.




Martha's Buttermilk Waffles

8 tbsp (1 stick) melted unsalted butter
2 cups all-purpose flour (I use German 405 flour)
1/4-cup packed light brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 large eggs, separated, room temperature
2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla extract (hard to come by in Germany, but a must)

Pre-heat waffle iron. In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla. Pour into dry mixture and stir until just combined. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until firm but not dry. Fold whites into batter. Ladle about 1/3 cup into waffle iron, depending on size, and spread batter almost to edges. Close lid and cook for 3-5 minutes, depending on iron. Transfer waffles to a plate and pop into toaster for a few second to rewarm just before serving.



Martha's recipe says it serves four to six, but unless you're eating an entire platter of waffles, I find this makes much more. As in, 15 single square waffles. She also recommends buttering the iron, but I find that my waffle iron traps too much moisture and this makes my waffles too soggy.

Because this recipe does make so much, and the egg whites deflate unless you use the batter immediately, I cook the entire batch and then freeze them for homemade frozen waffle breakfasts through the following week. A quick pop in the toaster and they are nearly as good as they were on the first day!



adapted from Martha Stewart's Buttermilk Waffle recipe