Jeden Tag ist Dönerstag!

April 14, 2011


My husband first told me about the existence of this t-shirt and now I've found where I can buy one for my very own. I'm sure there isn't a German who would be caught dead in it, but for this expat, I find it tremendously funny. For those of you who don't know Döner kebap, it's an amazing Turkish/German specialty that is rather like Germany's version of fast food - and yes, there's one on nearly every corner. And I say 'Turkish/German' because, much like the American-created burrito, the Döner kebap was created in Berlin. 

Even though we haven't tried too many local kebap places, we have quickly discovered our favorite - a tiny little shop in Idstein with the best pita-like, sesame bread and tasty meat that's not too fatty. The fact that the guy makes killer Pommes as well only adds to its appeal. Mmm... I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. 

The tee is also a play on words - 'Donnerstag' is the word for Thursday. Kind of like 'Thai-day Fridays' at my husband's office, Döner kebap lunch runs often occur on - you guessed it - Thursdays. I think I'll put in a request for my own Dönerstag Donnerstag for dinner!


*Daily Drop Cap by Jessica Hische